Year of qualification:
Areas of expertise:
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Bariatric/Metabolic (weight-loss) Surgery
- Laparoscopic (Keyhole) Abdominal Surgery
- Tuesday afternoon, 1.30-2.30pm (Weeks 1 & 3 of the month)
- Tuesday evening, 7-8pm (Weeks 2& 4 of the month)
- Ad-hoc appointments can be arranged for Monday, Wednesday or Friday
Don’t just take our word for it, take a look at Mr Awad’s reviews on iWantGreatCare!
Services currently provided:
Keyhole procedures performed:
- Gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, insertion of gastric bands
- Anti-reflux, hiatus and paraoesophageal hernia operations (for heartburn/acid-reflux/difficulty swallowing)
- Heller’s Cardiomyotomy (for achalasia)
- Resection of small bowel
- Gallbladder surgery
- Abdominal hernia repairs (inguinal, femoral, umbilical, epigastric and incisional hernias)
- Division of adhesions
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Medical Association
- Medical Protection Society
If you would like to find out more about Mr Awad’s services, why not attend one of his free open evenings!
- Wednesday December 12th, 6pm
Mr Sherif Awad is a specialist Laparoscopic (keyhole), Upper Gastrointestinal and Bariatric (weight loss) surgeon. He qualified from the University of St. Andrews (BSc MedSci) and Manchester (MBChB Hons) and undertook his surgical training in Manchester, the East Midlands and in London.
Sherif is a fellowship trained surgeon having completed two fellowships in advanced Laparoscopic and Bariatric surgery and leads the East Midlands Bariatric and Metabolic Institute (EMBMI) – a regional centre that provides bariatric services to patients from the East Midlands and runs an in-house bariatric fellowship training program to train other surgeons. He is an instructor on courses for advanced Laparoscopic skills and delivers regional talks on Bariatric and Metabolic surgery to other disciplines and GPs.
For more information, visit Mr Awad’s website: www.sherifawad.co.uk
Sherif is also Honorary Associate Professor of Surgery at the University of Nottingham. He completed his PhD into the metabolic and cellular effects of carbohydrate-based preconditioning drinks that are used in the Enhanced Recovery (ERAS) Protocols. Sherif has co-authored numerous papers including international guidelines on Enhanced Recovery After Bariatric Surgery. He has research expertise on other topics such as perioperative nutrition, enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS), insulin resistance and the physiological and metabolic effects of bariatric and metabolic surgery. Sherif’s research has been awarded numerous national and international prizes including the prestigious 2010 Moynihan Medal of the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI). Sherif is an expert journal reviewer of many medical journals including the British Journal of Surgery, British Medical Journal and the International Journal of Obesity.
Sherif is also a member of the Association of Upper GI Surgeons (AUGIS), the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS) and the International Federation for Surgery of Obesity (IFSO).
Other specialist interests:
- Surgery to remove oesophageal and stomach cancer
- Bariatric/Metabolic (weight-loss)
- Keyhole abdominal surgery
- Anti-reflux and hiatus hernia surgery
- Hernia operations and gallbladder surgery
Other procedures performed:
- Oesophageal and stomach cancer surgery
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Open hernia repairs
Mr Sherif Awad does not hold a share or financial interest in Derby Private Health.
Mr Sherif Awad does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at Derby Private Health.
Mr Sherif Awad does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Derby Private Health.
To find out more or arrange a consultation call us now on 01332 785200 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org