Year of qualification:
Areas of expertise:
- Angina (chest pain)
- Shortness of breath
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Diseases of the heart valves
- Arrhythmia (irregular heart beat)
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary artery disease
- Dizziness and syncope (fainting)
- Edema (swelling)
- High cholesterol
- British Cardiovascular Interventional Society (BCIS)
- Society of Catheter and Interventions (SCAI)
- European Club of Interventional Cardiologists (EUCIC)
Dr. Kamal Chitkara has been a Consultant Cardiologist in Derby since 2010. He graduated from Mangalore University, India, in 1995. His specialist postgraduate training in cardiology was undertaken at Glenfield Hospital, in Leicester. Dr. Chitkara also undertook a period of research at University of Leicester and was awarded M.D in 2008. Dr. Chitkara undertook high volume intervention during his Interventional Fellowship at highly renowned centre, Leeds General Infirmary.
Dr. Chitkara’s practice comprises a broad spectrum of cardiological conditions, and he specialises particularly in the management of ischaemic heart disease, (angina and the prevention of heart attacks), percutaneous coronary intervention (routine and complex coronary angioplasty and stenting), the investigation of cardiac causes of stroke, hypertension, management of valvular heart disease, and the treatment of heart failure. He also has a strong interest in the investigation of palpitations, dizzy spells, blackouts, chest pain and breathlessness. He has special interest in Drug Resistant Hypertension and runs a specialist clinic bimonthly. Dr. Chitkara was instrumental in establishing primary angioplasty for the acute management of myocardial infarction (heart attack) at Royal Derby Hospital in Derby. This is a recognised Heart Attack Centre in Derby and provides 24 hour emergency angioplasty for patients with acute myocardial infarction
Dr. Chitkara is the Research Lead Cardiologist for the cardiology department at Derby Hospital. He has extensive experience in research, performed during his MD and SpR training. He has published widely in peer-reviewed journals with abstracts for national and international meetings. He also has a vast experience of successful grant and ethics applications with confidence in performing statistical analysis and manuscript preparation. He has just published a book on Eptifibatide Eluting Stents and is currently editing Coronary Complications during PCI – A survival handbook.
Key titles include:
- DES: 2nd Generation vs. 1st generation. Chitkara K*, Gershlick A.H. J. Interventional Cardiology (Interventional Cardiology –August 2010).
- Drug Eluting Stents in patients with ST Elevation MI. Chitkara K*, Gershlick A.H. European Cardiovascular Disease – Vol.1, (Issue II) November 2009.
- Eptifibatide eluting stents as an anti proliferative and anti thrombotic agent: in- vitro evaluation. Chitkara K*, Hogrefe K, Gershlick A.H. J Invasive Cardiol. 2006 Sep; 18(9):417-22.
- Drug Eluting Stents in coronary atheromatous disease. Chitkara K*, Hogrefe K, Gershlick. Hospital Pharmacy Europe- 48-51 October 2003.
- Drug Eluting Stents: Promises and Pitfalls. Chitkara K*, Bhandari M, Gershlick A.H. Interventional Cardiology Monitor- volume 10, No.1 2003.
Dr. Chitkara also has a key interest in the prevention of coronary complications and regularly organises a national interactive, case-based discussion course, which has now successfully completed 5 yrs, for final year SpRs and new Consultants, in collaboration with a panel of experts. He believes that complication cases often form the basis for a good discussion and are a learning opportunity for better management and prevention of coronary complications during intervention.
Dr Kamal Chitkara works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health
Dr Kamal Chitkara does not hold a share or financial interest in Derby Private Health.
Dr Kamal Chitkara does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at Derby Private Health.
Dr Kamal Chitkara does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Derby Private Health.
To find out more or arrange a consultation, email us at email@example.com or call us now on 01332 785200