Year of qualification:
- Daily from 5pm (except Monday)
Areas of expertise:
- Haematolo-Oncology, including the treatment of adult patients with acute and chronic leukaemias, lymphomas and myeloproliferative disorders.
- General Haematology, including the management of adult patients with unexplained anaemia and low platelet counts.
Services currently provided:
Out-patient and day-case care of patients with various Haematological conditions including:
- Unexplained anaemia
- Myeloproliferative disorders (essential thrombocythaemia, myelofibrosis, polycythaemia rubra vera)
- Chronic myeloid leukaemia
- Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and related conditions
- Low grade lymphoma
- Immune-mediated conditions such as ITP and autoimmune haemolysis
- Bone marrow biopsies
Dr Millar graduated from Edinburgh University Medical School in 1994 and moved to Nottingham where he trained as a junior doctor at the Queens Medical Centre. After a brief period of time working in Clinical Immunology in Leicester, Dr Millar moved to Leeds in 2000 where he trained as a Registrar in Haematology. He took two years out of training to undertake laboratory-based research in Edinburgh and gained his doctoral thesis in Haematology. During this time he was also a Clinical Lecturer at the University of Edinburgh Medical School.
After completing his training, Dr Millar took up a position as a Consultant Haematologist at the James Cook University Hospital in Middleborough from 2007 until 2010. He then moved to become a Consultant in Derby, where he is currently head of service for Haematology as well as Trust lead for intra-thecal chemotherapy.
Dr Millar is principle investigator for a number of national Haematology trials currently being run within Derby Hospitals. He is also the multi-disciplinary (MDT) Haematology research lead for the Trust.
Other specialist interests:
Dr Millar holds a masters degree in Medical Law (with distinction). He undertakes medico-legal work.
To find out more or arrange a consultation call us now on 01332 785200 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org