Year of qualification:
Areas of expertise:
- Thrombosis and Haemostasis
- Thursdays from 5pm
Dr McKernan has been a Consultant Haematologist in Derby for nearly 20 years. Her area of expertise is Thrombosis and Haemostasis and she is clinical lead for the anticoagulation service and chair of the Trust Thrombosis Group.
She has led the Trust wide implementation of risk assessment and prevention of venous thromboembolism and developed many guidelines concerning anti-coagulation, which are in use throughout the Trust.
Dr McKernana is the Director of the Haemophilia Centre and a member of two UK Haemophilia Centres Doctors’ Organisation working parties for: dental management of people with bleeding disorders and musculoskeletal management of people with haemophilia. In addition she is Chair of the Trust and Regional Transfusion committees.
Other specialist interests:
- General Haematology
Services currently provided:
- Prevention and treatment of DVT and PE
- Advice about poorly controlled warfarin
- New Oral Anticoagulants
- Perioperative management of anticoagulation
- Thrombophilia – hereditary and acquired
- Bleeding disorders (easy bruising, heavy periods, bleeding after dental/surgical procedures)
To find out more or arrange a consultation, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us now on 01332 785200