Year of qualification:
Areas of expertise:
- General Surgery
- Laparoscopic and advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Benign upper GI surgery
- Bariatric/Metabolic surgery – Weight Loss Surgery
- Acute pancreatitis
- Complicated gall stone disease and bile duct surgery
Special interest/Services Provided:
- Laparoscopic hernia repair
- Investigation and treatment of heart burn and acid reflux including laparoscopic anti-reflux and hiatus hernia surgery
- Endoscopy, including gastroscopy and Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Surgical management of gall stone disease including bile duct stones and gall bladder polyps
- Surgical treatment for abdominal wall hernias including incisional hernias
- Laparoscopic gastric band, gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy and revisional weight loss procedures.
- Surgical management of acute and chronic pancreatitis
- Friday 2-4pm
- Monday – Thursday evenings
- Trent Regional Representative and Member of Council of Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons (ALSGBI)
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons (AUGIS)
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- Pancreatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland
Altaf Awan qualified in surgery and trained in Nottingham, Derby and Newcastle. He undertook fellowship in advanced laparoscopic and bariatric surgery at the NUGITS institute, Newcastle, which is an internationally renowned centre for surgical training in Key Hole Surgery and a recognised Ethicon Endo-surgery centre of excellence.
Mr Awan is on the specialist register and commenced a full-time substantive consultant post in general, pancreatico-biliary and laparoscopic surgery at Derby in 2011.
Mr Awan has had specialist training in advanced laparoscopic and weight loss surgery at the NUGITS institute and undertakes both standard and complex procedures for gall stone disease, bile duct stones, primary and revisional bariatric (weight loss) surgery.
Mr Awan is one of the UK leading surgeons involved in the managemant of gall stones, bile duct stones, complex gall stone disease and has got one of the highest rates of laparoscopic surgery for these conditions in England (SWORD data).
- Gall stones and Acute pancreatitis
- Role of laparoscopic (Key Hole) surgery in emergency cases
Weight loss surgery
Mr Altaf Awan does not hold a share or financial interest in Derby Private Health.
Mr Altaf Awan does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at Derby Private Health.
Mr Altaf Awan does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Derby Private Health.
To find out more or arrange a consultation call us now on 01332 785200 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org